Sunday, January 15, 2012

Lady Luck Smiles on Me. Again.

Some days, everything you touch turns to shit, but some days it all turns to gold.  Yesterday was a Golden Day.  Played ‘til 5:00 am the night before, and it was past Noon before I could even drag my ass out of bed.  But then I got to Diamond Lil’s just before 2:00 pm, and took the last open seat in the 20/40 game.  A forecast of snow later kept lots of people home, and it was really slow for a Saturday afternoon, with just one game at each of the 4/8, 8/16, and 20/40 limits.  Eventually, things picked up.  Way up.

I bought in for $1,000, and cashed out $7,502 seventeen hours later.  I’ve won more than that at higher limits, but for 20/40, I think this was my best-ever session win.

I’d like to say I played really good, but the truth is that I flopped sets, made flushes and straights, and had Aces and Kings, and AK, and especially AQ, hold up WAY more than usual.  In other words, I got lucky.  REAL lucky.  Repeatedly.  And maybe I did play well in a couple spots, but for sure I also got stupid a few times, here and there.  Again.

One time the UTG player open-raised, and I, right behind her, mucked AQ.

One time the UTG player open-raised, and I, right behind him, 3-bet with KT.  Offsuit.  Showed to down to take the pot, too, then heard about it, repeatedly, for the next couple hours. :-)




Traffic Stop

I’ve played 20/40 with Steve nearly 20 years.  Right before New Years we were in the game, and he was table-talking to the other guys about his nightclub in a neighboring town, where hostesses entertain the male clientele.  He emphasized again (I had heard this from him before) that his “ladies are very clean.”  OK, fine.  Snap.  Got the picture.

He also mentioned that his hostesses were from overseas.  We’d recently watched some shows on MSNBC about such things, and this ugly buzzword was fresh in my head, and, well, sadly, my big mouth got away from me.  Again.  So I jumped in and asked:

   “Wait, there isn’t any Human Trafficking going on here, is there ??”

He didn’t seem to hear me, or to understand, not sure which.  But Dealer Doug did, gave me a WTF look, and said “Eeeeew, how can you even say that?”  Couple other guys groaned too, as if I had asked a Scoutmaster taking his troop into the woods if anyone was gonna be molested.  I felt about an inch tall, so I STFU, and tried to shrink down in my seat and be invisible.

Last week I even talked to Doug about it, and told him how bad I felt about that comment, and some other smartass remark I had made another time.  Guess I’m not friends enough with Steve to apologize to him, even if he had heard me.  But I respect Doug’s opinion, and feelings, and it seemed the remark put him off.  I felt like I had probably crossed the line, and wanted to make it right, so I apologized to him instead.  I think he forgave me.  At least he said he did.

Then, last Friday, I had to go back to Doug, and un-apologize!  Turns out last Thursday came the FEDERAL bust, and Friday the FEDERAL grand jury indictment, apparently charging club owner Steve, and seven others, with exactly what I said, plus a few other unsavory crimes that might tend to put one away for many many moons.  News from a couple days ago said “held without bail.”  Hey, maybe they’ll get real good lawyers, or plead way down, or at least make bail; who knows?  But my money says orange jumpsuits love you long time.

These remarkable events were, or course, the main topic of talk at the table, if not throughout the room, all the time I was stacking chips during that mega-rush yesterday.

= = = = =

If you're reading, will ya please leave a comment and let me know there's an audience out there?  Thanks.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Shocked that you won so much with that line up. I got there around midnight (you were out of your seat, but i think your jacket was in the 7 seat) and between there being one table with a list, and the table looking pretty tough, i just turned around and left. Glad to hear you managed to do well.
-Nick

Eric H, said...

Yay! More Sgt. Rock postings.

Loved your stuff on RGP, love it here!

Dave Orr said...

+[

Keith said...

>>> But my money says orange jumpsuits love you long time.

Funny. I hope it's a long long time.

Shaman said...

Reading from San Diego. Blog more often, your stories are always well written and entertaining.

Anonymous said...

>Then, last Friday, I had to go back to Doug, and un-apologize! Turns out last Thursday came the FEDERAL bust

There you go again with your results oriented thinking.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading you since rgp and was glad to find you again. Keep up the r00ling.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, keep posting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for mucking AQ :-)

Anonymous said...

Great to see you posting trip reports again! I loved your stuff on RGP pack in the day (Halogen Headlights FTW!)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I didn't recognize the name when I read it in the newspaper, but heard the story as soon as I sat down at the table. Enjoyed both blogs. Keep it up. DMC

Anonymous said...

Always a pleasure to read... Please take care of your health and stop eating so badly, would love to read these blogs for years to come.

Anonymous said...

Glad your back Sarge! Been a lurker for years going back to RGP. Keep up the posts!

Anonymous said...

Keep posting please. I've followed your blog for a few years and enjoy it greatly.

Pete in the UK.

Anonymous said...

Srg. Rock,

I like your poker blog..check mine out too @ http://maytonepoker.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm reading!